Monday, January 2, 2017

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards #11-20

We are trying to begin 2017 by committing ourselves to pursuing godliness in our lives. This is our second day of considering the resolutions Jonathan Edwards made within his own heart in his own personal quest for godliness. Here are the next 10:

"11. Resolved, when I think of any1 theorem in divinity to be solved, immediately to do what I can towards solving it, if circumstances don't hinder.

12. Resolved, if I take delight in it as a gratification of pride, or vanity, or on any such account, immediately to throw it by.

13. Resolved, to be endeavoring to find out fit objects of charity and liberality.

14. Resolved, never to do anything out of revenge.

15. Resolved, never to suffer the least motions of anger to irrational beings.

16. Resolved, never to speak evil of anyone, so that it shall tend to his dishonor, more or less, upon no account except for some real good.

17. Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

18. Resolved, to live so at all times, as I think is best in my devout frames, and when I have clearest notions of things of the gospel, and another world.

19. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if I expected it would not be above an hour, before I should hear the last trump.


20. Resolved, to maintain the strictest temperance in eating and drinking."

No comments:

Post a Comment