Thursday, August 11, 2011

Take Possession of the LORD

“I will love you, O LORD, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies.” –Psalm 18:1-3

These verses are a prayer of commitment—a prayer to take possession of the Lord in life. David realized his greatest need was the Lord. He knew that the Lord provided so many things for him—strength, salvation, and security. He realized that without God, life would be completely useless and totally dangerous.

Look at these verses again, and then think about what David wouldn’t have if he didn’t take possession of the Lord. He wouldn’t have strength, a solid rock to stand on, a fortress to rest in, a deliverer, a shield, the strength of salvation, a stronghold, or salvation from his enemies. A life without those things is a life of insecurity. It is a life without power, resources, or salvation. It is a hopeless life.

Consider the following commentary by Matthew Henry:

“The Lord Jehovah is my God; and then he is my rock, my fortress, all that I need and can desire in my present distress.” For there is that in God which is suited to all the [urgencies] and occasions of his people that trust in him. “He is my rock, and strength, and fortress;” that is, 1. “I have found him so in the greatest dangers and difficulties.” 2. “I have chosen him to be so, disclaiming all others, and depending upon him alone to protect me.” Those that truly love God may thus triumph in him as theirs, and may with confidence call upon him”

Consider this as well:

“All we want in Christ, we shall find in Christ. If we want little, we shall find little. If we want much, we shall find much; but if, in utter helplessness, we cast our all on Christ, he will be to us the whole treasury of God.” – Henry Benjamin Whipple (1822-1901)

Christian, take possession of the Lord. Love Him with all your strength and you will find that He is everything that you need in every circumstance that life will throw at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment