Thursday, July 28, 2011

Oh God, Give Me A Soft Heart

"But they refused to heed, shrugged their shoulders, and stopped their ears so that they could not hear. Yes, they made their hearts like flint, refusing to hear the law and the words which the LORD of hosts had sent by His Spirit through the former prophets. Thus great wrath came from the LORD of hosts." -Zechariah 7:11-12


This is perhaps one of the saddest couple of verses in all of Scripture. God issued a call for His people to show true justice, mercy, and compassion on their brothers, but they would not hear. He asked them not to oppress the widows and orphans, but they refused to even listen.

How often does this characterize me? How many times has the Lord urged me to show true justice, mercy, and compassion on the weak, widowed, and fatherless and I refused? Have I become a pharisee--too good to get his hands dirty caring for the poor? Have I refused to follow the law of God and the words sent by the Spirit of God?

Oh God, take away my heart of stone. Give me a soft heart, tender and compassionate for those around me. Open my ears that I may hear your law and do it. Open my eyes that I may see the needs around me. Help me walk step for step with You that You may delight in my obedience. Oh God, reveal Yourself to me through Your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment