Thursday, December 1, 2011

From Pride to Humility: 31 Manifestations of Pride

Manifestations of Pride: We all have them! Which ones can you ‘check off’? 
  1. Self-pity - false humility,This attitude of pride says, “I deserve better” 
  2. Complaining against or passing judgment on God - Numbers 14:1-4, 9, 11; Romans 9:20. This attitude of pride says, “God, your plan is not good enough for me” 
  3. A lack of gratitude in general - 2 Chronicles 32:25; Romans 1:21. This attitude of pride fails to acknowledge where everything we have or are comes from 
  4. Anger  - Matthew 20:1-16. Outbursts, withdrawing, pouting, frustration. “Rights” or expectations are not being met. Goals are blocked.This attitude of pride says, “I’m not getting what I want or deserve” 
  5. Seeing yourself as better than others - Luke 7:36-50. This attitude of pride says, “I’m glad I’m not like that sinner” or “They don’t deserve to be in my presence” 
  6. Having an inflated view of your importance, gifts and abilities - 1 Corinthians 4:7. “What do you have that God didn’t give you?” This attitude of pride says, “I’ve made myself the way I am” 
  7. Being focused on the lack of your gifts and abilities - 1 Corinthians 12:14-25. This attitude of pride says, “I wish I were more like him, he’s so gifted” 
  8. Perfectionism - Matthew 23:24-28. This attitude of pride majors on the minors 
  9. Talking too much - Proverbs 10:19. This attitude of pride says, “People need to hear me” 
  10. Talking too much about yourself - Proverbs 27:2; Galatians 6:3. This attitude of pride says, “Look at me” no matter if it is a positive or negative 
  11. Seeking independence or control - 1 Corinthians 1:10-13; Ephesians 5:21. Rigid, stubborn, headstrong, intimidating. This attitude of pride says, “My way or the highway” 
  12. Being consumed with what others think - Galatians 1:10. This attitude of pride says, “I wonder who will like this” 
  13. Being devastated or angered by criticism - Proverbs 13:1. This attitude of pride says, “I can’t believe they would criticize me! Who are they anyway?” 
  14. Being unteachable - Proverbs 19:20; John 9:13-34. This attitude of pride says, “I already know that” or “I already know enough” 
  15. Being sarcastic, hurtful, or degrading - Proverbs 12:18, 23; 26:18-19. This attitude of pride says, “You’re so dumb—just kidding!” 
  16. A lack of service - Galatians 5:13; Ephesians 2:10. This attitude of pride says, “You should be serving me” 
  17. A lack of compassion - Matthew 5:7; 18:23-35. This attitude of pride demands, “Pay me what you owe!” 
  18. Being defensive or blame-shifting - Genesis 3:12-13; Proverbs 12:1. This attitude of pride says, “It’s his fault” 
  19. A lack of admitting when you are wrong - Proverbs 10:17. This attitude of pride says, “No I’m not stopping to ask directions!” 
  20. A lack of asking forgiveness - Matthew 5:23-24. This attitude of pride says, “He ought to come to me if he wants me to apologize” 
  21. A lack of biblical prayer - Luke 18:10-14. This attitude of pride says, “I don’t need God” 
  22. Resisting authority or being disrespectful - 1 Peter 2:13-27. This attitude of pride says, “Why should I submit to him, I don’t like him and I didn’t vote for him” 
  23. Voicing preferences or opinions when not asked - Philippians 2:1-4. This attitude of pride says, “They need my input on this project” 
  24. Minimizing your own sin and shortcomings - Matthew 7:3-5. This attitude of pride says, “Look at that speck in his eye” 
  25. Maximizing others’ sin and shortcomings - Matthew 7:3-5; Luke 18:9-14. This attitude of pride says, “Look how horrible you are” 
  26. Being impatient or irritable with others - Ephesians 4:31-32. This attitude of pride says, “I’m going to punish you.” 
  27. Being jealous or envious - 1 Corinthians 13:4. This attitude of pride says, “I deserve better than he does” 
  28. Using others - Matthew 7:12; Philippians 2:3-4. This attitude of pride says, “How can you serve my purposes?” 
  29. Being deceitful by covering up sins, faults, and mistakes - Proverbs 11:3; 28:13. This attitude of pride says, “If I can just keep this quiet” 
  30. Using attention-getting tactics - 1 Peter 3:3-4. This attitude of pride says, “What can I do to get people to see me” 
  31. Not having close relationships - Proverbs 18:1-2. Too much trouble, not enough benefits; Self sufficiency. This attitude of pride says, “I don’t need anybody” 
What is an appropriate view of self? Our society tells us that we must have a 'high self-esteem' and avoid having 'low self-esteem'. We need to realize that the idea of 'self-esteem' is NOT biblical. Low self-esteem comes from an elevated pride. We must see ourselves as God sees us.

God sees us first of all as sinners. Then, if we've trusted Christ as our Savior, God sees us as sinners who have been saved by grace through faith who are now in a process of becoming more like Christ in our daily practice.

Pride is a wicked sin. The first step to true repentance is seeing pride for what it really is. The second step is to put on humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment