Saturday, December 31, 2011

A New Year's Resolution

Last year I did not make any resolutions as we entered 2011. This is partly because I didn't think much about it and partly because I didn't see the importance of it. I didn't have a bad year, but as we draw to the close of 2011 I can't help but think that because I didn't set any goals, I don't have any sense of satisfaction for meeting any goals. I want this year to be different. I want to set some goals for myself and strive to meet those every day. So through this past week I have been thinking of some goals that I want to do in this coming year.

1. Resolve - to pray for and with my wife every day. It seems so simple, yet it has been a challenge for me in my 3.5 years of marriage to fulfill this even on a weekly basis. I can't think of a better way to be a more loving husband and a better spiritual leader in the home than to pray consistently for and with my wife.

2. Resolve - to pray for and with my kids every day. Alicia and I have always been faithful about praying with and for Jodie every day. But now that we have Kendra in the house, I want to make sure that we are faithful to pray for and with both of our girls each day.

3. Resolve - to read the Bible devotionally every day. This past year I have read the Bible every day, but many days I have read it only for sermon preparation or 'job related' stuff. I want to have the attitude of Job: "I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food." To help me do this, I will be using this 3650 Bible-reading plan that I came across on Tim Challies blog. Essentially, I will be reading 10 chapters of 10 different books of the Bible every day. The article I linked to describes the plan and the reasons behind it. Mom, Dad, Kevin, and I will be taking this plan on as a challenge. I have also adopted this rule: No read, no feed. That means that I will not eat any food before I spend my devotional time in the Word each day.

Those are my three resolutions for 2012. Have you thought of any?

No comments:

Post a Comment