Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Truths About The Living God - Deuteronomy 5:26

Deuteronomy 5:26


"For who is there of all flesh who has heard the voice of the living God speaking from the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?"


What do we learn about the living God?


The living God is almighty, all-powerful, entirely and infinitely holy, and One to be feared. The Israelites understood that. No one else had the privilege of having the living God accompany them at all times, and even speak to them! Not only that, they didn't die!


Look at Isaiah 6. Here you can get an idea of the holiness of the living God. When Isaiah found himself in the presence of God, he cried, "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." The prophet understood the holiness of God, and his sinfulness. Therefore he was afraid for his life.


Now take a look at Daniel 10. When Daniel saw the "man" (God the Son) in his vision, his response was, "I saw this great vision, and no strength remained in me; for my vigor was turned to frailty in me, and I retained no strength. 9 Yet I heard the sound of his words; and while I heard the sound of his words I was in a deep sleep on my face, with my face to the ground."


When John saw the Son of Man in Revelation 1, and wrote, "when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead."


I would like to suggest that these days Christians in general lack that fear and reverence for our God. There is a tendency to treat God as our buddy and pal. It is true that the Lord is our friend, but He is much more than that. You may think of God in the Old Testament as One who judges or One who is very harsh, while in the New Testament He appears to be a God of love. The living God has never changed, nor will He ever change. The God in the Old Testament is the same God in the New Testament, and the same God we love and serve today. When we really know and understand who He is, our lives will be changed, and we will fear the one and only living God. Do you know Him? Do you fear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment