Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Valley of Vision - Reconciliation


LORD GOD ALMIGHTY,

Thou art beforehand with men
   for thou has reconciled thyself to the world through the cross,
   and dost beseech men to accept reconciliation.
It is my responsibility to grasp thy overtures of grace,
   for if thou, the offended part, act first with the word of appeasement,
   I need not call in question thy willingness to save,
   but must deplore my own foolish maliciousness;
If I do not come to thee as one who seeks thy favour,
   I live in contempt, anger, malice, self-sufficiency, and
   thou dost call it enmity.
Thou hast taught me the necessity of a Mediator, a Messiah,
   to be embraced in love with all my heart,
     as king to rule me,
     as prophet to guide me,
     as priest to take away my sin and death,
   and this by faith in thy beloved Son who teaches me
   not to guide myself,
   not to obey myself,
   not to try to rule and conquer sin,
   but to cleave to the one who will do all for me.
Thou has make known to me
   that to save me is Christ’s work,
   but to cleave to him by faith is my work,
   and with this faith is the necessity of my daily repentance
   as a mourning for the sin which Christ by grace has removed.
Continue, O God, to teach me
   that faith apprehends Christ’s righteousness
   not only for the satisfaction of justice,
   but as unspotted evidence of thy love to me.
Help me to make use of his work of salvation as the ground of peace
   and of thy favour to, and acceptance of me the sinner,
   so that I may live always near the cross.

The Valley of Vision, Banner of Truth Trust, 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment